Saturday, October 4, 2008

Strange thoughts

Welcome back! School has begun and is in full swing, so it is now time to welcome you back to my weekly blog. I will be updating each week (sometimes more), just to give you a taste of my life here in Hungary and what goes on. Kind of a "Day in the Life" of Hannah. Living in another country brings about unique (at times awkward) situations. Like the other day a man on the street decided he wanted to talk to me. I had no idea what he was saying, so I smiled, told him in Hungarian that I only spoke a little. He nodded, smiled and and said something like "Oh, I understand dear, have a nice day." It made me smile a bit. Or yesterday when I called the pizza place, asked if anyone spoke English and got a solid "Nem" (no). So in my limited Hungarian I proceeded to order a szalami (pepperoni, but we call it salami) pizza and give my friends address for delivery. About 45minutes later the pizza showed up (I always feel like I've conquered the world when it works). Well, yesterday I had the strangest thought. Here in Hungary refrigerators are quite small, making the freezer even smaller. I had a roommate so I get half of a very small freezer. Now as I was growing up we had a giant deep freeze so we could stock up. Well, it has been really hard for me to stock up and freeze leftovers for later meals. So yesterday, I saw an aid for an upright freezer and I got so excited and wanted to buy it. Now I don't know about you, but I have never had an urge to buy a freezer before. I don't think I'll buy it, but it sure got me thinking about buying a smaller one or freeze things in the school freezers. I'll keep you posted if I decide to get creative.

No comments: