Monday, November 16, 2009

My students say the funniest things!

So I thought I would tell you a bit about my students. They say the funniest things. First of all I have a student who doesn't always call me "Miss Wood." Instead she just says, "Hey Wood!" It always cracks me up.

The other day one of my students asked if he could whisper something into my ear. Well, I explained that this isn't always polite in public. He proceeded to grab my right hand and point at my diamond ring. He asked if I had gotten it as a present (implying engagement). I said "Yes, from my grandpa" (it was my grandmother's 25th wedding anniversary ring). At this point our conversation had interested some other 1st graders, who began telling me that their mothers had the "exact same ring." It just made me laugh.

Tonight, I went to one of my students' house. As I arrived, I'm clobbered by the 2nd grader, who stays pretty close to me all evening. Hugging me or leaning into me at the dinner table. As I was leaving she asked me how old I was. I told her to guess. Her best guess was "45"! Isn't a child's perspective always amusing in regards to age. Last week, one of my students told me I looked like a teenager! It was a compliment because she thinks that teenagers are pretty cool (she is in 4th grade). So in one week I went from being a teenager to 45! Too funny.



2 comments:

Raina said...

45? Wow, Hannah. Is this job taking its toll on you? lol.

Gail said...

Hannah, so happy that you are still in Hungry! Kids perception of age is so funny. We have a retreat every fall for the Jr high and Sr high. A couple of 6th graders were asking me if I was going to the retreat. When I said 'no' they asked if it was because I'm too old. They had noticed that is was mostly the young teachers who were going. I pointed out that one of the older teachers was going and they said, 'oh yes, she is pretty old.' They are so funny!